The Canadian Trade Commissioner Service (TCS) provides its clients with practical advice on foreign markets and on-the-ground intelligence to help them make better, more timely and cost-effective decisions in order to achieve their goals abroad.
Trade commissioners offer services across a wide range of trade sectors, to those members of the Canadian business community who contribute to Canada's economic growth, have a demonstrated capacity for internationalization and have good potential to add value to the Canadian economy.
The Trade Commissioner Service promotes Canada's economic interests in global markets, by engaging in a range of activities (see TCS business lines), including:
- contributing to export market development
- conducting advocacy and foreign market access activities
- understanding and analyzing trade policy
- attracting foreign investment to Canada
- developing a network of international business contacts
- identifying and communicating business leads
- fostering strategic alliances
- linking Canadian businesses to global value chains
- supporting licensing and venture capital linkages
- promoting joint-venture partnering and foreign equity investment
- facilitating R&D collaboration and technology transfer
- promoting corporate social responsibility
- facilitating Canadian direct investment abroad